Why you should get a Customs Broker
If you choose to file your own Customs entry, please read the U.S. Customs and Border Protection publication “Importing into the United States” for an overview of what is involved.
On the other hand…
A licensed Custom Broker can save you from making costly mistakes and huge headaches.
Customs Brokers have extensive knowledge of entry procedures, admissibility requirements, classification, valuation, and the rates of duty and related taxes and fees for imported merchandise. Depending on the nature of the goods, there are various taxes, duties and excises to be paid or avoid. A licensed customs broker will navigate the intricacies of international trade and offer guidance with import regulations. They monitor all changes in restrictions and regulations and can help you to obtain the necessary permits, certifications, and licenses for your shipments to limit your exposure to penalties and delays.
How do they help?
• They will verify that your products meet the US requirement and are correctly classified in order to facilitate duties and tax procedures.
• They will identify what regulations apply to the contents of your shipment and will engage with government agencies such as the FDA, ATF, and FCC on your behalf.
• They will prepare and check all the documents in order to see if they meet regulatory requirements.
• They will assist you with any post-entry changes that may need to be made for import regulation compliance.
• They will interact with the other necessary customs officials and track your cargo. This is often especially helpful to you, due to time zone differences.
• They will also make you beneficiary of their international network in order to facilitate the movement of your goods abroad.
• They will determine if the commodity being shipped qualifies for duty drawback. They can file necessary claims to help you recover funds and they will also determine if the goods qualify for preferential treatment under any Free Trade Agreements or the Generalized System of Preferences and can offer guidance for compliance.
Proper customs clearance can often mean the difference between making a profit or not. It is in an importer’s best interest to hire a licensed broker. The benefits greatly outweigh the risks of self-filing, and allow them to focus on their core business.
With 30 years of experiences R.S. Express is a full-service global logistics provider. We are licensed customs brokers, international freight forwarders and logistics professionals. We pride ourselves on our knowledge base and our ability to leverage that knowledge into efficient and accurate professional logistics services for our customers.